Governor Pat Quinn has called for $1 billion in state budget cuts. Here's what his so-called "Tough Choices" budget proposes cutting:
- $185 million from state operations, including approximately 2,600 layoffs and 12 furlough days for state employees.
- $140 million from Medicaid and health insurance.
- $250 million in targeted reductions in grant programs.
- $125 million from the Department of Corrections.
- $175 million from proposed increases for K-12 education.
- $25 million from other state offices, departments and agencies not under the Governor.
- $100 million in additional reserves.