Effingham, Ill - Due to the extremely dry environmental conditions that persist in our area it is necessary to invoke a ban on all burning in the response jurisdiction of the Shumway Fire Protection District. This includes the Town of Shumway, Funkhouser, Lake Sara, areas of rural Effingham.
This burning ban applies to all outdoor burning activities regardless of receptacle with the exception of the use of grills both charcoal and gas that are continually supervised and immediately extinguished after use.
The ban is in effect from now June 27th, 2012 until further notice. Residents are to contact the Shumway Fire Protection District with any questions (217)868-5202. Please respect the environmental situation that we are currently in and adhere to this ban for everyone's safety including that of the emergency responders.
The hot and dry conditions we are currently experiencing in Effingham County are creating a greater risk for brush fires. The Shumway Fire Protection District is requesting all persons to take extreme caution or avoid the use of fireworks and any open fires now and throughout the upcoming holiday celebrations. Stray fireworks and unattended open fires can easily ignite dry grass, ground cover and flammable structural materials. Fire officials ask area residents to report any and all unattended fires to the fire department by calling 911. As of right now the Lake Sara Good Neighbors fireworks display is still scheduled for the evening of July 3rd.
According to the National Weather Service, a heat advisory is in effect and residents are encouraged to drink plenty of water, stay in air conditioned areas when possible, stay out of the sun and check on relatives and neighbors. Do not underestimate the effect of the heat, particularly on small children and those of advancing age, as these age groups may be more susceptible to heat related illness. The combination of hot temperatures and high humidity will combine to create a situation in which heat illnesses are possible. Avoid prolonged work in the sun or in poorly ventilated area.