Family Suing Energy Drink Co. for Wrongful Death - Wandtv.com, NewsCenter17, StormCenter17, Central Illinois News-

Family Suing Energy Drink Co. for Wrongful Death

Posted:

DECATUR-The FDA is looking into the deaths of at least five people who consumed Monster energy drinks before they died.  This comes after a Maryland family has filed a wrongful death suit against the maker of Monster. 

Fourteen year old Anais Fournier slipped into a coma after downing two large cans of Monster, dying a few days later.

She had a pre-existing valve problem of her heart. Her official cause of death: cardiac arrhythmia because of caffeine toxicity.

A 24 ounce can of Monster has as much caffeine as seven cans of Coke.  

St. Mary's Emergency Room Dr. Phillip Barnell says he's treated people for conditions brought on by too much caffeine.

"Nervousness, anxiety, sleeplessness, irritability, that sort of thing," Barnell says.  "Your heart pounding."

He adds that certain people should be extra cautious.   

"The young and the old are more susceptible to it," he says.  "People who have underlying medical conditions and are on chronic medications should be especially cautious of caffeine use."

But knowing exactly what you're drinking can be tough.  The FDA doesn't regulate energy drinks.  And the lack of information on the cans is partly why Anais's family is suing the makers of Monster.

Monster beverage has  released a statement denying that drinking two cans of monster by itself can cause death by caffeine toxicity. The FDA adds though they are investigating, that drinking the energy drink alone does not necessarily mean it has caused these deaths.

Powered by WorldNow

904 South Side Drive
Decatur, IL 62521
Primary Phone: 217-424-2500
Primary Email: news@wandtv.com

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014, WorldNow and WAND. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms