CHICAGO (AP) -- A 23-year-old man has
died after falling into a smokestack atop a Chicago hotel.
Authorities say the man was trying to take a photo from the top of the
Intercontinental Hotel on Michigan
Avenue when he fell 22 feet down the smokestack.
He was pronounced dead at Northwestern
early Thursday. His name wasn't immediately released.
Chicago Fire Department spokeswoman Meg Ahlheim says rescue crews called
to the hotel found the man had fallen about 22 feet and was wedged into an
angled portion of the smokestack.
Rescuers had to cut into the chimney's steel ductwork to remove the man.
Ahlheim says crews used boards to keep him from falling farther. After
the angled spot where he became wedged, the chimney is vertical for about 42