St. Mary's Hospital: Earth Day AwarenessPosted:
IL —April 22, 2013 is Earth Day, a day which highlights the importance of
conserving energy, reducing waste and treating the planet with respect and
Earth Day is a perfect time to reflect on what you are doing to help protect the environment. Everyone shares the responsibility to do as much as they can to preserve the planet's natural resources today and for future generations.
St. Mary's Hospital is providing some simple reminders on how you can become environmental stewards on Earth Day and every day.
- Recycle. Save your plastic, aluminum and steel. Put it out by the curb in a separate container or drop it off at the closest recycling facility.
- Bag It. When you go shopping, bring your own reusable bags. This preserves resources by cutting down on the huge number of paper and plastic bags that are discarded after a single trip.
- Save on Electricity. There are many ways to trim those electric bills. Wash your laundry in cold water instead of hot and line dry your linens. Open windows to let the light in, turn off unneeded lights and appliances, and unplug unused electronics.
- Save on Gas. Your car will work more efficiently if you obey the speed limit and avoid unnecessary acceleration. Keep your tires properly inflated and get regular tune-ups.
- Shop at your local farmers' market. This will help support farmers in your area and decrease the miles you drive to buy food.
- Save on Water. Drink water from the tap, instead of buying single-use bottled water, which requires much more energy to produce, store and transport. Use water filters if you are concerned about your local water supply.
before you print.
With increased access to smart phones, iPads and laptops, oftentimes a hard copy
is not necessary. Switching subscriptions and bill receipts to be sent via email
is another great way to lessen paper waste.