LINCOLN - Firefighters were called to Oasis Senior Center on Pulaski Street. The two story brick building was spewing black smoke from the roof pulling multiple crews to the scene.
It was around 5:30 p.m. Friday when the Lincoln Fire Department got a call that smoke was coming from the top of the building.
"Prior to that we had a severe thunderstorm," explained Mark Miller the Lincoln Fire Chief. "Lots of lightning in the area about 20 minutes, 30 minutes beforehand."
And fire officials said that could be what sparked the flames at the senior center in the middle of Lincoln's downtown.
"It's going to be a significant loss for the seniors and the activities that they had going on at the center," said Mayor of Lincoln Keith Snyder.
Fire officials said there were people inside the building and other buildings along the street when the flames started. Part of this street had to be evacuated to bring in at least a dozen fire departments to fight the fire.
"We had to get the roadways cleared open so that we could get apparatus in here and water tankers in here to supply water," said Miller.
Three firefighters faced minor injuries but other than that everyone is okay. There is obvious damage to the senior center but there could be smoke and water damage to surrounding buildings.