RANTOUL -- Rantoul fire officials say Monday night's deadly fire could have been prevented.
Carla Phipps, 58, died after an electrical fire started inside her home in the 400 block of Steffler St.
"There were multiple extension cords with multiple items plugged in, and all the extension cords and items went to one outlet," said Ofc. Kevin Kaiser with Rantoul Police and Fire.
Kaiser said they are seeing more fires caused by people using surge protectors as extension cords, sometimes plugging a dozen items into one wall.
"In some cases we've had surge protectors plugged into surge protectors...and that's just not what they were designed to do."
RANTOUL- One woman is dead after a fire breaks out in a Rantoul Home.
Firefighters responded to 400 S. Steffler St. at about 7:30 PM, where they noticed fire and heavy smoke coming from a bedroom.
One resident in the home, Carla Phipps, 58, was taken to Carle Hospital where she was pronounced dead.
The State Fire Marshall, Champaign County Coroner's Office, the Rantoul Police Department, and the Rantoul Fire Department are investigating the cause of Phipps' death. Police say the fire was an electrical fire.
Evangelist Franklin Graham prayed on a sidewalk outside the Pentagon Thursday after his invitation to a prayer service inside was withdrawn because of comments that insulted people of other religions. More>>