Saving Lives.. One Carbon Monoxide Detector at a Time - Wandtv.com, NewsCenter17, StormCenter17, Central Illinois News-

Saving Lives.. One Carbon Monoxide Detector at a Time

Posted:
According to the Center for Disease Control, 430 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisonings.  On Saturday afternoon, senior citizens across Westville received what could be a life-saving gift, a carbon monoxide detector.  The Howards didn't have a smoke alarm or a carbon monoxide detector.

"I've heard about them but we never got into it or anything like that," said Donald Howard.

"Men and women over the age of 65 have the highest rate of carbon monoxide poisonings in the United States."

"It's harder for them to get around to do a lot of those things, especially reach up higher and install stuff," said Westville firefighter, Gary Wright.

It wasn't until 2007 that having a detector in you home was required by law.  Every year, the Westville Fire Department and Faith in Action's, Chris Good, go door to door making sure that families like the Howards don't go without.

"If you have fossil fuel in your home, which is typically gas, wood-burning, or coal-burning appliances, then state law says you must have a carbon monoxide detector within fifteen feet of bedrooms," said Good.

A small effort to make a huge difference.  


Powered by WorldNow

904 South Side Drive
Decatur, IL 62521
Primary Phone: 217-424-2500
Primary Email: news@wandtv.com

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014, WorldNow and WAND. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms