Natural Area Restoration Challenge given to local Conservation Foundation

Posted:
DECATUR - The Illinois Clean Energy Community Foundation has selected the Macon County Conservation Foundation to participate in a challenge to secure funding to pay for habitat improvements on a newly-acquired piece of property.

To get the restoration work started at MCCF's Willow Branch Conservation Area II, the Illinois Clean Energy Community Foundation is willing to invest in the project through a challenge grant.

For every dollar donated for the first $7,000, Illinois Clean Energy will donate $3, for a total maximum match of $21,000.  Illinois Clean Energy will pay for 80 percent of the cost for equipment needed for the project if individuals raise the other 20 percent, or about $340.  Finally, if 400 or more hours of volunteer time are contributed for natural area projects at the site, Illinois Clean Energy will donate another $4,000.

When the goals of the challenge have been met, the money will be used to plant native trees and prairie, and remove exotic plants at the future conservation area.

To contribute to the 400 volunteer hours needed, you can contact Rich Crowe at (217) 423-6796 or rcrowe@maconcountyconservation.org.  If you wish to donate funds to the project, visit www.maconcountyconservationfoundation.org or mail a check to the Macon County Conservation Foundation at 3939 Nearing Lane, Decatur, IL 62521.
Current Conditions
/
  • Current Events