Unattended space heater causes house fire in Mattoon

fire generic.jpg fire generic.jpg
MATTOON - The Mattoon Fire Department says an unattended space heater was the cause of a fire that damaged a home in Mattoon Monday night.

Mattoon Fire Department officials say on December 1 at about 7:43 p.m., they received a report of a structure fire in the 600 block of South 28th Street in Mattoon.  Upon arriving, firefighters deployed crews to the front and rear of the home to stop the spread of fire.  Crews were successful, and cleared the scene at approximately 10:30 p.m.  

Officials say two family members were home at the time of the fire, but were able to escape the building.  One of the family members was transported to a nearby medical facility for treatment of smoke inhalation.  The American Red Cross was called in to assist the family.  

The back half of the home was severely damaged in the fire.  No human fatalities were reported, however, three dogs and one cat were lost in the fire.

Upon investigating, Mattoon Fire Department investigators determined the cause of the fire was an unattended space heater left too close to combustible material.  The Mattoon Fire Department would like to remind central Illinois residents to use caution when using a space heater.
Current Conditions
  • Current Events