MATTOON - Mattoon Fire Department officials say crews responded to a report of a house fire on the city's south side Thursday morning.
Authorities say at about 11:13 a.m., the Mattoon Fire Department received a report of a fire at a home in the 800 block of Oklahoma Street. Mattoon Fire, Charleston Fire RIT, Mattoon Police, and the Red Cross crews were dispatched to the scene.
Upon arriving, firefighters found fire and smoke coming from the building's north side. Crews were able to extinguish most of the fire from the outside of the building, as most of the flames were on the outside wall of the back of the house. However, officials say the fire did enter the house and attic area, with smoke and water damage being sustained in other portions of the house. Crews cleared the scene at about 12:52 p.m.
During their investigation, fire officials determined the fire to be accidental in nature, caused by a malfunctioning heat pad in a dog house located on the back porch. No injuries have been reported at this time.