Amtrak could see 40 percent decrease in state funding under proposed budget

Posted:
SPRINGFIELD - Although Amtrak has seen increased ticket revenues and passenger numbers over the last five years, the company could see their state funding slashed by 40 percent under Governor Bruce Rauner's proposed state budget.

Under Rauner's budget, Amtrak would receive $26 million in state funding.  However, Amtrak spokesperson Marc Magliari says officials don't believe that amount of funding will be enough to maintain current levels of service.

Some portions of Amtrak's business have increased by as much as 25 percent over the last five years, such as the Lincoln Service train, which runs between St. Louis and Chicago.  Officials say state funding covers approximately 85 percent of Amtrak's costs in Illinois, with the remaining 15 percent coming from ticket revenues.

State lawmakers are expected to work out the state's budget in the near future.
Current Conditions
/
  • Current Events

  • Current EventsMore>>

  • 2018 Winter Olympic Games listings

    2018 Winter Olympic Games listings

    These listings, which are subject to change, offer daily highlights of the XXIII Olympic Winter Games from PyeongChang, South Korea, programming across NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, USA Network, Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA, NBCOlympics.com, and the NBC Sports app.

    More \232a

    These listings, which are subject to change, offer daily highlights of the XXIII Olympic Winter Games from PyeongChang, South Korea, programming across NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, USA Network, Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA, NBCOlympics.com, and the NBC Sports app.

    More \232a
  • Agribusiness Today

    Agribusiness Today

    Get your agribusiness report here!

    More \232a

    Get your agribusiness report here!

    More \232a
  • Web Exclusives

    Web Exclusives

    Here at WAND we strive to bring you the latest coverage on news happening across central Illinois, and this page is a continuation of that effort.More \232a
    Here at WAND we strive to bring you the latest coverage on news happening across central Illinois, and this page is a continuation of that effort.More \232a