Authorities identify man who died in Niantic house fire

Posted:
NIANTIC - Macon County authorities have released the identity of a man who died in a house fire in Niantic Thursday morning.

Macon County Coroner Michael Day says David Register, 64, was pronounced dead at 10:45 a.m.  Authorities say the house fire took place in the 300 block of South Main Street.

According to Day, Register died from probable carbon monoxide intoxication due to inhaling smoke and soot during the fire.  Day also says there was severe thermal injuries to Register's body as well, and that there are no signs of traumatic injury other than those attributed to the fire.

This fire is being investigated by the Macon County Sheriff's Office and Illinois State Fire Marshal's Office.  We will provide more details as they become available.

Current Conditions
/
  • Current Events