HSHS St. Mary's Hospital offering tips for better sleep
DECATUR - HSHS St. Mary's Hospital officials are offering central Illinois residents tips for better sleep health during Better Sleep Month.
Officials say inadequate sleep can lead or contribute for several chronic medical condition like heart disease, stroke, depression, diabetes, and obesity. In order to improve the quality of sleep you get every night, St. Mary's officials are offering the following six tips:
1) Try to stick to a regular sleep routine. Go to bed at the same time every night, and wake up at the same time each morning.
2) Create a quiet and relaxing environment to sleep in.
3) Make sure your bed and bedding are at a comfort level that meets your needs.
4) Try to avoid electronics like the television or your smart phone before attempting to go to sleep.
5) Exercising daily can help promote sleep. However, residents should avoid exercising a few hours before bedtime.
6) Eat balanced meals throughout the day. Large evening meals can cause heartburn and other complications.
Officials also say if you're having sleep problems that interfere with how you function throughout the day, you should speak with your primary care provider. For more information about the effects that inadequate sleep can have on you, call the HSHS St. Mary's Hospital Sleep Center at (217) 464-2847.