Mattoon Fire Department identifies cause of New Year's Eve fire

Posted: Updated:

MATTOON - In an update to a story WAND brought you on January 1, the Mattoon Fire Department has identified the cause of a fire that damaged a building in the 1900 block of Wabash.

Mattoon Fire Department officials say the fire was caused by a short in an electrical junction box mounted on plywood walls.  Officials add that the fire then ruptured a gas line, which led to a gas-fed fire.

No injuries were reported in this incident.  A video of this fire was provided to WAND by a viewer.  It may be viewed below:

Current Conditions
/
  • Current EventsMore>>

  • Coats for Kids Drive

    Coats for Kids Drive

    DECATUR, Ill. (WAND) - You can help keep central Illinois children warm this winter by donating new and gently used coats during WAND-TV's Coats for Kids drive.

    More \232a

    DECATUR, Ill. (WAND) - You can help keep central Illinois children warm this winter by donating new and gently used coats during WAND-TV's Coats for Kids drive.

    More \232a
  • Agribusiness Today

    Agribusiness Today

    Get your agribusiness report here!

    More \232a

    Get your agribusiness report here!

    More \232a
  • Web Exclusives

    Web Exclusives

    Here at WAND we strive to bring you the latest coverage on news happening across central Illinois, and this page is a continuation of that effort.More \232a
    Here at WAND we strive to bring you the latest coverage on news happening across central Illinois, and this page is a continuation of that effort.More \232a