Fire at Champaign Apartment Displaces Several Residents

Posted: Updated:

CHAMPAIGN- Several residents are left wondering where they are going to sleep tonight after a fire started in an apartment at the Champaign House Apartments.

The fire began around 10:40 AM at a single apartment on the south end of the building. The apartment was on the top floor, causing the fire to reach into the attic. It did not spread to any other apartments, although several apartments below did sustain water damage.

The fire is being considered accidental after it was caused by a contractor completing plumbing work.

All residents in apartments near the fire were evacuated for safety, but were allowed to return a couple hours after the fire. The occupants of the apartments close to the source of the fire have to make other accommodations until all the damage to the building is completed. Although, it is unclear when they will be able to return.

No residents or fire fighters were injured in the fire.

Current Conditions
/
  • Current EventsMore>>

  • Coats for Kids Drive

    Coats for Kids Drive

    DECATUR, Ill. (WAND) - You can help keep central Illinois children warm this winter by donating new and gently used coats during WAND-TV's Coats for Kids drive.

    More \232a

    DECATUR, Ill. (WAND) - You can help keep central Illinois children warm this winter by donating new and gently used coats during WAND-TV's Coats for Kids drive.

    More \232a
  • Agribusiness Today

    Agribusiness Today

    Get your agribusiness report here!

    More \232a

    Get your agribusiness report here!

    More \232a
  • Web Exclusives

    Web Exclusives

    Here at WAND we strive to bring you the latest coverage on news happening across central Illinois, and this page is a continuation of that effort.More \232a
    Here at WAND we strive to bring you the latest coverage on news happening across central Illinois, and this page is a continuation of that effort.More \232a