Champaign Police Arrest a Suspect with Ties to Area BurglariesPosted:
Champaign- The Champaign Police Department has arrested 20-year-old Brandon I. McClendon of Champaign for the charge of multiple residential burglaries. On September 14th, McClendon was served a search warrant at his home, which is in the 1500 Block of W. Healey. Police say once inside, they found a significant amount of property including 3 stolen guns, along with ammunition.
Champaign Police Detectives are continuing to follow-up on this investigation to determine the extent of McClendon’s involvement in area-burglaries and armed robberies.
Residents are reminded that police have seen a county-wide increase in both residential and motor vehicle burglaries and encourage the following safety tips to help in burglary prevention efforts:
• See Something, Say Something. Call Police if you see a crime or suspicious activity in your neighborhood.
• Lock It-Hide It-Keep It. Always keep residential and car doors locked when you are at home and when you’re away. Most area vehicle burglaries have occurred to cars that were left unlocked.
• Do not leave your property unattended. Always close your garage doors, remove valuable items from your car and do not leave anything of value accessible for someone else to walk off with.
• Make sure the exterior of your home is well-lit at night. Help light your block by keeping a light on at night or consider a motion-activated light that comes on at the onset of a presence on your property.
• Install deadbolts, double key locks and additional locks for windows and patio doors. Secure any sliding doors by placing a steel rod, broomstick, or dowel inside the door channel.