Oven usage leads to death, injury in home

Posted: Updated:
Photo courtesy of NBC 5 Chicago Photo courtesy of NBC 5 Chicago

GARY, Ind. (WAND) – A child is in critical condition after a family used an oven to keep warm.

Firefighters say it happened Wednesday night in Gary, Ind., in the 700 block of King Street. NBC 5 Chicago reports firefighters found an elderly woman dead in the home and a 5-year-old girl with serious injuries.

The station says first responders noticed high carbon monoxide readings in the home when they arrived.

The station reports fire crews tried to help the woman by using CPR in her front yard. The 5-year-old had to be airlifted for medical treatment.

Firefighters are warning the public to be sure carbon monoxide detectors are installed in every home for safety.

Current Conditions
/
  • Current Events

    • 2018 Winter Olympic Games listings

      These listings, which are subject to change, offer daily highlights of the XXIII Olympic Winter Games from PyeongChang, South Korea, programming across NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, USA Network, Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA, NBCOlympics.com, and the NBC Sports app.

    • Agribusiness Today

      Get your agribusiness report here!

    • Web Exclusives

      Here at WAND we strive to bring you the latest coverage on news happening across central Illinois, and this page is a continuation of that effort.
    More