'Improper' cigarette disposal caused fire, crews say

Posted: Updated:
Photo from The News-Gazette Photo from The News-Gazette

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (WAND) – Firefighters quickly put out a house fire in a Champaign neighborhood.

Crews came to the scene after 3 p.m. Wednesday at 1302 N. Mattis Ave., when the found a fire starting to move from the outside of the house to its inside. They used a single hose line to put the flames out.

Firefighters say a neighbor saw the fire and called in the emergency. They believe an improperly disposed cigarette caused the fire to start.

They say the person who lives in that home was not there at the time, but added that the person is now displaced. There were no injuries.

Firefighters did not provide more information about damage.

Current Conditions
/