Structure fire displaces resident

Posted: Updated:

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (WAND) - A fire in Champaign apartment complex has left a man looking for a place to live.

Champaign Fire Department responded to a working fire at 32 Chester Street, Saturday, October 13, 2018, at 10:16 a.m. Fire crews quickly contained the fire to a second-story apartment of a mixed-use structure.     

Firefighters initially responded as part of a regular alarm response to the report of light smoke in a second-floor apartment.  Once on the scene, crews entered the building and discovered a small fire in a gas fireplace vent chase and upgraded the call to a working fire.  Firefighters extended hose lines to the second-floor apartment and quickly extinguished the fire.

The cause of this fire is accidental and is attributed to the separation of segments of the fireplace vent pipe in the chase.  One occupant of the building has been displaced because of this fire.  There were no firefighter or civilian injuries reported.              

The Champaign Fire Department reminds all citizens to have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional and to test their smoke alarms at least once a month

Current Conditions
/