Family of child likely killed from carbon monoxide released from hospital


The mother and siblings of a two-year-old Rantoul girl who is believed to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning are no longer hospitalized. Family members of of two-year-old Kashara Riggins were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning and released from Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana.

Police were called to the Rantoul home in the 1300 block of East Briarcliff drive early Friday morning after Gary Riggins discovered his family lying throughout the home.

A preliminary autopsy indicates Kashara Riggins died from carbon monoxide poisoning. The Champaign County Coroner is still waiting on toxicology reports to confirm the official cause of death.

The investigation into what caused the carbon monoxide leak continues.

Current Conditions