WASHINGTON - If you owe past due child support your stimulus check might not be coming or be significantly lower, according to one U.S. Senator. 

If you owe back taxes  of other debt to the government that's not a problem, Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, the chairman of the Finance Committee and key author of the stimulus bill said. 

The legislation "turns off nearly all administrative offsets that ordinarily may reduce tax refunds for individuals who have past tax debts, or who are behind on other payments to federal or state governments, including student loan payments," Grassley wrote in a post.

"The only administrative offset that will be enforced applies to those who have past due child support payments that the states have reported to the Treasury Department," he continued.

This means, Americans who are overdue on child support could have their check eliminated or reduced. 

The Treasury Department operates a program put in place in 1996 that allows them to collect child support by cutting or withholding federal payments. State child support agencies share the information with the Treasury. 

The bill has been signed into law by President Donald Trump on Friday afternoon. 

The cash transfers are available to U.S. residents with a valid Social Security number who reported making less than $99,000 — or couples earning up to $198,000 — on a recent tax return. The one-time payments max out at $1,200 per person with an additional $500 per child.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.