This week City Water, Light and Power (CWLP) has again received reports from business customers who have received phone calls from a person requesting payment in order for that customer to avoid disconnection.
In these recent accounts, the calls came from an 800-number (1-800-758-3097). Other scam calls reported to CWLP last year have come from 888 numbers, and the (773), (218) and (501) area codes.
Similar scams by phone have been reported frequently this year by other utilities from all around the country according to the American Public Power Association.
CWLP wants customers to know that:
- Any customer who is unsure if a phone call is actually coming from CWLP should take the caller's name and telephone number, hang up and then call CWLP Customer Service at 789-2030 to verify account status.
- No calls made to customers on behalf of the utility would come from an Area Code other than 217;
- CWLP never blocks its identify from caller ID systems;
- When CWLP representatives make courtesy calls to let customers know their accounts are in arrears, they inform the customers they have one business day to make a payment and they never initiate a suggestion that the customer make the payment by phone;
- Other than when a customer requests to make a payment by phone, the only personal information a CWLP representative would ever request over the phone
would be the last four digits of the customer's Social Security Number, which might be needed to verify the representative is speaking with the customer;
- If a customer has given out private information or made payment based on one of these scams, they may report it to Springfield Police at 788-8325.