THE HAGUE (AP) — The International Criminal Court says it has issued an arrest warrant for Russian President Vladimir Putin for war crimes, accusing him of personal responsibility for the abductions of children from Ukraine. It was the first time the global court has issued a warrant against one of the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council. The warrant Friday also was for the arrest of Maria Lvova-Belova, the commissioner for Children’s Rights in Putin's office, on similar allegations. A possible trial of any Russians at the ICC remains a long way off. Moscow does not recognize the court’s jurisdiction or extradite its nationals.
International court issues war crimes warrant for Putin
- By MIKE CORDER and RAF CASERT - Associated Press
Post a comment as anonymous
Watch this discussion. Stop watching this discussion.
- Small business owners concerned about new PTO law
- Police: 2 dead, suspect arrested
- Bill repealing archaic marriage prohibitions passes out of Illinois House
- Illinois House passes declawing ban
- 2 Illinois teens dead after sledding at Colorado ski resort
- Three suspects arrested for Decatur shooting that killed pregnant woman, injured 4-year-old
- Arrest made in shooting death of 16-year-old in Urbana
- Snow has partly covered roads
- Former CEO of Taylorville Chamber of Commerce arrested for embezzlement
- Person wounded in Springfield shooting
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.