The video of Ahmaud Arbery’s shotgun death was a shocking piece of evidence that suddenly brought the Black man’s killing into the national consciousness. But the murder convictions of the three white men may have been secured by their own words to investigators the day of the shooting. Greg McMichael told police the Black man “was trapped like a rat” and he told Arbery: “Stop, or I’ll blow your ... head off!” Statements like that allowed prosecutors to give context to the short video that didn’t show the entire shooting and had little of the five minutes that the men chased Arbery.
Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
- Man injured outside Decatur Masonic Temple
- Suspected crack cocaine dealer arrested in Springfield
- Convicted killer who led police on chase will serve prison time
- Second murder suspect denies involvement in Decatur drive-by shooting
- Delta suspends services at Central Illinois Regional Airport
- Collinsville man arrested after fatal shooting in Farmersville
- One dead after single vehicle fatal crash in Shelby County
- One injured in two-vehicle crash on Grand and IL-48
- Pritzker signs congressional maps into law
- Danville native to dance in Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade