• Updated

Federal authorities have announced an investigation into two immigration officers who appeared to have made untruthful statements under oath about a shooting in Minneapolis last month. It marks the latest in a string of shootings involving federal immigration agents in which evidence ended up contradicting some initial accounts. Those included the fatal shootings of Renee Good and Alex Pretti, where bystander video quickly raised questions about how they were initially described. In at least five shootings in recent months, federal officials have provided narratives that justified the use of force — sometimes deadly — by ICE officers tasked with carrying out President Donald Trump’s immigration crackdown.

AP Wire
  • Updated

Federal authorities have opened a criminal probe into whether two immigration officers lied under oath about a shooting in Minneapolis last month, as all charges were dropped against two Venezuelan men. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Director Todd Lyons said Friday that his agency had opened a joint probe with the Justice Department after video evidence revealed “sworn testimony provided by two separate officers appears to have made untruthful statements” about the shooting of one of the Venezuelan men. The officers, whose names were not disclosed, are on administrative leave pending the completion of an internal investigation. Lyons added that the U.S. attorney’s office is actively investigating.

AP Wire
  • Updated

A Brazilian au pair got the maximum 10-year sentence after confessing to scheming with her lover to kill his wife and another man. Juliana Peres Magalhães pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the February 2023 killing of Joseph Ryan. She testified that she fired the shot that killed Ryan as Brendan Banfield was fatally stabbing his wife Christine. Brendan Banfield will likely remain behind bars for life after a jury found him guilty in both killings. Prosecutors recommended her immediate release in exchange for her cooperation, but the judge rejected that deal, sentencing her to the maximum for the downgraded charge.

AP Wire
  • Updated

The families of the victims of the mass shooting in a remote Canadian town are grappling with unrelenting grief as details emerge about those killed in the country’s deadliest mass shooting in years. Authorities said Thursday that the 18-year-old shooter killed her 39-year-old mother, Jennifer Jacobs, and 11-year-old stepbrother, Emmett Jacobs, in their northern British Columbia home on Tuesday before heading to the nearby Tumbler Ridge Secondary School and opening fire, killing five children and a teacher before killing herself. The motive remains unclear. Among the dead was 12-year-old student Kylie Smith, whose family remembered her as “the light in our family.” The family of victim Zoey Benoit described her as “the strongest little girl you could meet.”

  • Updated

Two teenagers have been charged with attempted murder and conspiracy to commit murder after allegedly plotting a mass shooting at a central Indiana high school that one of them attends. The two teens charged as adults in the case are 17-year-olds from Indiana and Mississippi. Law enforcement officials says the two communicated over social media about a mass shooting at the school in Shelbyville. The investigation began in December when the mother of one of the teens approached sheriff's police about her daughter's obsession and discussion of school shootings and her fear she meant to harm someone.

AP Wire
  • Updated

The Trump administration says it is ending its massive immigration crackdown in Minnesota after weeks of angry mass protests, thousands of arrests and two fatal shootings. Border czar Tom Homan said Thursday that the operation has been a success and that it has made the state safer. The sweep targeting the Minneapolis-St. Paul area has led to more than 4,000 arrests. Critics say officers swept up people with no criminal records, including children and U.S. citizens. Democratic Gov. Tim Walz says he's not ready to express gratitude for the end and that Washington must help with the recovery. Lawmakers continue to fight over Department of Homeland Security funding and Immigration and Customs Enforcement reforms.

AP Wire
  • Updated

Oklahoma has carried out its first execution of the year on a man convicted of killing two men in a drive-by shooting. Prison officials say 45-year-old Kendrick Simpson received a three-drug injection Thursday morning at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester. Simpson’s execution was the first this year in Oklahoma and the second in the U.S. after a lethal injection carried out Tuesday in Florida. Simpson admitted last month that he shot and killed 19-year-old Anthony Jones and 20-year-old Glen Palmer following an altercation at an Oklahoma City nightclub. The state’s five-member Pardon and Parole Board narrowly denied recommending clemency for Simpson.