CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (WAND) - Champaign firefighters responded to a fire at a house in the 914 block of West Beardsley Avenue just after 9:00 a.m. Thursday morning. 

According to the fire department, once on the scene, fire crews found smoke and flames coming from the side and back of the residence. 

Firefighters deployed multiple hose lines and entered the home to search for victims.

Firefighters rescued four occupants from within the home and had the fire extinguished by 9:43 a.m.

The four occupants were transported to area hospitals in critical condition.  
 
There were no firefighter injuries reported.  
 
Firefighters reported finding the two female adults and two female children on the second floor.
 
Firefighters have concluded the investigation into the fire and have determined the fire to be accidental. 
 
According to fire department, through scene examination and interviews, investigators from the Champaign Fire Department and the Office of the Illinois State Fire Marshal were able to determine the fire started in the kitchen in the rear of the home near the stove.  

The home sustained heavy smoke and heat damage. Fire damage was contained to the northeast corner of the house. 
 
The Fire Department will have no further updates on the medical conditions of the occupants.  
               
The Champaign Fire Department reminds all citizens to maintain a working smoke alarm in their place of residence and to have and practice a home escape plan. 

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.