Firefighters put out fire at Springfield recycling center

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (WAND) – Quick action by firefighters prevented further damage when a mulch pile caught fire at a Springfield recycling center.

Evans Recycling told WAND firefighters just happened to be driving by around 7:30 p.m. and saw the fire.

Springfield fire posted pictures of the fire to their Facebook page.

Evans Recycling told us that while pictures of the fire make it look massive, the damage was not nearly as bad as what it appears to be.

They said an internal combustion caused the mulch pile to catch fire.

No buildings were damaged, and no people were hurt.

WAND is also waiting on a call back from the Springfield Fire Department to get additional information.