DECATUR, Ill. (WAND) — Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker issued a state disaster proclamation Wednesday after weeks of severe weather across Illinois caused widespread damage from flooding, high winds and tornadoes.

The governor's office said the National Weather Service has recorded around 204 tornadoes so far this year in Illinois. The WAND viewing area has experienced more than 60 tornadoes this year, roughly three times the yearly average.

What the proclamation does

The proclamation frees up more state resources and personnel to help with local response and recovery. It comes days after Pritzker visited Lansing near Chicago, where officials have been assessing damage to figure out what communities need for long-term recovery.

Counties covered by the proclamation:

  • Alexander (July 9-11)

  • Champaign (Aug. 9-11, Aug. 13-16)
  • Cook (July 27, Aug. 9-11)

  • DuPage (July 27, Aug. 9-11)

  • Ford (Aug. 13-16)

  • Fulton (Aug. 13-16)

  • Kane (July 2-4)

  • LaSalle (Aug. 9-11)

  • Lake (July 27)

  • McLean (Aug. 13-16)

  • Marshall (May 16, June 10-11, June 19-June 29)

  • Pulaski (July 9-11)

  • Tazewell (Aug. 13-16)

  • Vermilion (July 27, Aug. 13-16)

  • Will (July 27, Aug. 9-11)

This proclamation is the second Pritzker has issued following severe weather. In June, Pritzker issued a disaster declaration covering several counties after the governor visited storm damage in Coles and Effingham counties. 

State agencies pitching in

The Illinois Emergency Management Agency and Office of Homeland Security (IEMA-OHS) and other state agencies have already been helping local officials with damage assessments, debris cleanup, power restoration and mutual aid, according to Pritzker's office.

The proclamation directs state agencies to keep helping local governments as they recover from storms. The Illinois Department of Transportation, Illinois EPA and the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity will assist as needed, and all other state agencies are directed to work with IEMA-OHS on additional support.

"The State of Illinois quickly mobilized resources for residents impacted by this latest round of severe weather, and today's disaster proclamation will further unlock and accelerate additional state resources for continued assistance," Pritzker said. "I know these storms have impacted countless Illinois families and requires we band together to help them recover. As this relentless and unprecedented weather continues to wreak havoc across our region, I remain committed to ensuring those impacted get the resources and help they need."

IEMA-OHS is continuing to coordinate with state and local partners under the State Emergency Operations Plan.

"Illinois has faced a history-making series of severe weather events this year, and IEMA-OHS has been on the ground since day one to support counties and municipalities with response efforts and damage assessments," said IEMA-OHS Director Theodore Berger. "This proclamation leverages additional support to the communities who need it most following recent severe weather events. We will continue working alongside our impacted communities every step of the way."

The proclamation also opens the door for state and federal disaster assistance requests. Pritzker has directed IEMA-OHS to keep working with federal partners on additional help for recovery and rebuilding.

The proclamation took effect immediately.

What it unlocks

  • Funding: Small, rural communities can apply for up to $250,000 through the Community Development Block Grant Disaster Response program (run by DCEO, funded by HUD) to cover cleanup, debris removal and repairs to public infrastructure. Communities have six months after the declaration to apply.

  • Personnel and equipment: The state can deploy staff and equipment if local governments request it.

  • Procurement: The proclamation eases normal procurement rules so resources and equipment can be secured faster.

Copyright 2026. WAND TV. All rights reserved.