Teenage gunmen open fire on San Diego mosque, killing 3 men and then themselves

SAN DIEGO (AP) — Police say a shooting at a San Diego mosque has killed three men and both shooters are dead. San Diego's police chief says they're investigating the attack as a hate crime. The shooting erupted Monday at the Islamic Center of San Diego. It is the largest mosque in San Diego County. Police say they were already looking for one of the teenagers since his mother called in concerned that her son was suicidal and had run away, possibly taking weapons and her car.

Police: Two suspects kill 3 people at a San Diego mosque before killing themselves

SAN DIEGO (AP) — Authorities say two teenage suspects opened fire at an Islamic center in San Diego, killing three men before killing themselves. The killlings Monday are being investigated as a hate crime. That's according to Police Chief Scott Wahl. The Islamic Center of San Diego is the largest mosque in San Diego County, according to its website. Wahl says a security guard was among the victims and that the two suspects were found dead in a vehicle nearby. He says about two hours before the attack, the mother of one of the suspects called police to report that her son was missing along with multiple weapons and her vehicle.

Justice Department announces nearly $1.8B fund to compensate Trump allies in a deal to drop IRS suit

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration has announced the creation a nearly $1.8 billion fund to compensate allies of the Republican president who believe they have been unjustly investigated and prosecuted. The “Anti-Weaponization Fund” was announced by the Justice Department on Monday as part of a deal to resolve President Donald Trump’s lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service over the leak of his tax returns. Democrats and government watchdogs immediately pledged to fight what they called a “corrupt” and unprecedented resolution. Trump’s lawyers disclosed the dismissal of the IRS lawsuit in a filing in federal court in Florida, where the president sued earlier this year.

What to know about Trump’s nearly $1.8B fund to compensate allies claiming political targeting

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department has announced a nearly $1.8 billion compensation fund for Trump allies who believe they were wrongly prosecuted by the Biden administration. Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche says the “Anti-Weaponization Fund” will provide a lawful process for victims to seek redress. The fund is part of a deal to resolve President Donald Trump’s lawsuit against the IRS over leaked tax returns. Critics, including Democratic lawmakers, argue the fund is unconstitutional and could become a taxpayer-funded “slush fund” for Trump allies. The fund will be overseen by a commission and operate through December 2028.

Trump says he's called off Iran strike planned for Tuesday at request of Gulf allies

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump says he is holding off on a military strike on Iran planned for Tuesday because “serious negotiations” are underway to end the war. He made the announcement in a social media post on Monday after threatening that the clock was ticking for Iran to strike a deal or fighting would renew after a fragile ceasefire. Later Monday, Trump told reporters that America’s allies in the Gulf asked him to put off the attack for two to three days because they feel they are close to a deal with Iran.

Mark Fuhrman, former LA police detective convicted of lying during OJ Simpson murder trial, has died

BOISE, Idaho (AP) — Former Los Angeles police detective Mark Fuhrman, who was convicted of lying during testimony at the O.J. Simpson murder trial, has died. He was 74. Fuhrman was one of the first two police detectives sent to investigate the 1994 killings of Simpson’s ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend, Ronald Goldman. Furhman reported finding a bloody glove at Simpson’s home but his credibility came under attack during the trial as the defense raised the prospect of racial bias. Under cross-examination, Fuhrman testified he had never made anti-Black racial slurs over the previous 10 years, but a recording made by an aspiring screenwriter showed he had done so repeatedly.  A coroner said Monday that Fuhrman died May 12 in Idaho, where he had moved years ago.

Federal court rejects Elon Musk's claims against OpenAI, saying he filed his lawsuit too late

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — A federal court on Monday dismissed claims filed against OpenAI and its top executives by Elon Musk, who accused them of betraying a shared vision for it to remain a nonprofit dedicated to guiding artificial intelligence’s development for the good of humanity. Musk, the world’s richest man, was a co-founder of OpenAI, which launched in 2015 and went on to create ChatGPT. After investing $38 million in its first years, Musk accused OpenAI CEO Sam Altman and his top deputy of shifting into a moneymaking mode behind his back. The nine-person jury found that Musk waited too long to file his lawsuit and missed the deadline for the statute of limitations.

Congo opens more centers to treat rare type of Ebola that has killed nearly 120

KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — Congo will open three treatment centers for the Ebola virus in the eastern Ituri province, and the World Health Organization is sending a team of experts to the country, following an outbreak that has killed nearly 120 people. An American doctor in Congo is among the newly confirmed cases of a rare type of Ebola virus with no approved vaccines or medicines, Congolese officials said Monday, as details emerged about the government’s delayed response to the outbreak. The Bundibugyo virus spread undetected for weeks. Experts criticize the delayed response and lack of resources. The U.S. CDC says the risk to Americans is low but urges caution for travelers in the region.

What to know about a midair collision between 2 Navy jets at an Idaho air show

BOISE, Idaho (AP) — Two Navy jets collided during an air show in Idaho, but all four crew members survived. The crash involved two EA-18G Growlers from a squadron in Washington. It happened Sunday at the "Gunfighter Skies" air show. Emergency responders quickly assisted the crew. One member is being treated for a non-life-threatening injury. The cause of the crash is under investigation. Videos suggest pilot error might have been involved. Air shows are inherently risky, but safety has improved over the years. The last fatal crashes at a U.S. air show occurred in 2024.

Judge allows gun and notebook as evidence at Mangione’s trial in UnitedHealthcare CEO’s killing

NEW YORK (AP) — A gun and notebook that prosecutors say link Luigi Mangione to the killing of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson can be used as evidence at his murder trial. The judge's ruling Monday partially rejects a defense argument that those items were seized illegally, before a search warrant was obtained. It's a major win for prosecutors, enabling them to show the jury a possible murder weapon and evidence they say points to motive. But the judge also ruled that other evidence found during an initial search of Mangione’s backpack must be suppressed. Mangione has pleaded not guilty to state and federal charges.

Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.